Truth and Service. Coming together to create solutions to help improve the livelihood of the DMV community
The Howard University School of Business, Department of Information Systems is proud to present the 5th Annual #BISONHACKS Hackathon beginning on Friday, March 29, 2019, Inclusive Innovation Incubator (in3) in Washington, DC.
#BISONHACKS Hackathon is an event coordinated by the Howard University School of Business (Department of Information Systems) The Hackathon encourage's participants to develop applications and innovations that automate, alert, organize, encourage, and educate. The hackathon is an opportunity for students to come together and bring their innovative ideas to life. In less than 24 hours students working either individually or in a team as large as four can create applications on whatever platform they desire.
We want you to take advantage of every second you can to score some sweet prizes. Are you a hacking novice? No problem. We will be hosting some introductory boot camps to get you up to speed on the basics of building an app, developing a business plan, and a sales pitch. Keep your eyes and ears open, and you'll learn more here in 24 hours than you ever would in school. Hackathons are as much a learning experience as they are competition.
Check us out on Instagram @bisonhacks!
Visit the website: http://www.bisonhacks.com
You MUST be a college student to participate in the Hackathon. You will be required to show ID when checking in.
Presentations should be submitted by Saturday, March 30, 2019, at 1 PM.
In order to submit, all files must be uploaded to GitHub by the designated time.
All submissions must include a 3 minute (MAX) demonstration (e.g. PowerPoint, a walkthrough of the software/solution, etc.) with an additional 1 minute allotted for questions.
● Submissions must be completely original; No plagiarism of code is permitted.
● Team app idea can be brainstormed beforehand, but code MUST be written at the event only. Code can not be brought in from outside the event. Cheating of any kind will not be tolerated.
● The code must be uploaded to bisonhacks2018.devpost.com team repository, or else the team will be disqualified.
● Any API/Service/Language can be used.
● The application can be a mobile app or web-based.
● The team’s repository must contain README that describes the project.
● Submissions must not contain any advertisement or solicitation;
● Submissions must not contain anything that is or may be construed as:
● Threatening, harassing, degrading or hateful;
● Fraudulent or tortious;
● Obscene, indecent or otherwise objectionable; or (v) protected by copyright,
trademark or other proprietary rights without the express prior consent of the owner of such right;
● Submissions must not contain any material that would give rise to criminal or civil liability or that encourages conduct that constitutes a criminal offense; and
● Submissions must otherwise comply in all respects with these Rules and the Policies.
How to enter
To sign up for the hackathon you must signup through Eventbrite. This is the link here.
JP Morgan & Chase
Outside of technical impressiveness in the project, during this hackathon judges will be looking for how teams communicate customer validation (Who are your users?) and acquisition strategy (How will you attract your users?).
In this category, we are looking for key factors that shows how the team's idea is scalable and give a clear measure as to how their solution makes an impact on the user's life.
In the midst of the given 24 hours, the judges will be looking for an established minimum viable product and a working prototype. This can range from a web application, mobile application or an IoT.
Design and User Experience
The teams final minimum viable product and prototype should achieve an engaging and memorable user experience. This means having a clear interface that is intuitive for users that come from different backgrounds.
Teams will be rated based on the presentation layout and articulation of their solution. This means how well was the team able to communicate their target audience, problems they are solving and how their product is the solution to that problem.